The 5th time is a charm. Raila Odinga accepts the nomination to be a presidential candidate in 2022, during the Azimia La Umoja Convention, and launches Azimio La Umoja Movement, a coalition of ODM and Jubilee Parties.
Speaker after speaker at the Azimia La Umoja Convention organized by ODM and Jubillee parties expressed full-throated support for Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
They described Odinga as a people’s person and fighter and listed several of his achievements over the years.
Top on the list was the “handshake” move with President Uhuru Kenyatta, which all regions credited for bringing peace to Kenya and giving Kenyatta a successful 2nd term which they say helped the Kenyan economy grow faster than ever.
Every county thanked Odinga for his role in bringing devolution in the government and allowing counties to handle their affairs. The coastal counties said they had found an ally in Odinga, and they’re hopeful that Odinga would diversify their economy to move beyond tourism once elected.
COTU Chairman Francis Atwoli gave a fiery speech and dismissed Ruto’s presidential bid.
“Unajua hii karne sio ya wheelbarrow,” Atwoli said.
He thanked Gideon Moi for joining Odinga at the Azimio convention. He said he promised his father, former President the late Daniel Arap Moi; they’d support his son in KANU leadership.
“Wewe hatukuwacha OKA! hatukuwacha OKA! hatukuwacha OKA! hatukuwacha OKA!” Atwoli said, firing-up the stadium.
The event was also attended by Gideon Moi, Amos Kamunya, Royal Media owner businessman S.K. Macharia, Jubilee Party Secretary-General Raphael Tuju, Gov. Charity Ngilu, among others.
RAILA ODINGA 10-POINT PLAN
1. Inua Jamii, pesa mfukoni, 6k per person(not a handout, but an economic stimulus)
2. Babacare…each Kenyan will have social/ healthcare insurance( govt will pay for those who can’t)
3. Kazi kwa wote .jua kali
4. Uchumi Kwa kina mama
5. #Inawezekana…youth preparation for the future
6. Education…Northern Kenya teachers affirmative action
7. Fukuza njaa…climate change adaptation
8. Northern Kenya education,
9. One county one product… All 47 counties
10. Building and improving on previous gains